Begin your underwater adventure with PADI Open Water Diver course.
If you love the sun, sea, nature and adventure, scuba diving is a perfect way to experience new sensations and discover the underwater world. PADI Open Water Diver is a full entry level certification you will receive upon completing the entire PADI Open Water Diver course.
With the PADI Open Water Diver certification, you are eligible to dive independently within your training and experience to a depth of 18 meters accompanied a buddy.
Outline of the PADI Open Water Diver course Training
Our team of professional PADI instructors will supervise, train and help you to learn what is required to become a certified diver.
The PADI Open Water Diver course consists of three main phases
- knowledge development which is the theory segment to understand the principles of scuba diving (achieve via on-line, e-learning, self study in the comfort of your hotel or in Vila Ombak Divers diving center),
- confined water dives is the practical segment practiced in the swimming pool (learning the techniques of scuba diving),
- four open water dives to review your skills and explore.
In order to earn the certification, you must meet the performance objectives of each segment. In addition, you need to demonstrate that you are comfortable in the water by floating/treading water for 10 minutes and swim 200 meters or swim 300 meters in mask, fins and snorkel (without time limit).
The knowledge development segment
The theory of PADI Open Water Diver course consists of:
- a book, five chapters, about principles of scuba diving,
- each chapter comes with knowledge review questions at the end that you have to answer. Your PADI instructor will go through the answers to the knowledge review questions,
- short quiz of 10 questions for each chapter,
- upon clearing the quizzes, you will have to do a final examination.
Quizzes and the final examination are in the form of MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions). You have to score at least 75% to pass both the quizzes and final examination.
The theory is important and interesting, however, you may find it annoying to spend part of your vacation to study a manual.
Therefore, PADI has developed an e-learning system where you can complete the theory segment in the comfort of your home at your own timing before you arrive in Gili Trawangan for your confined water and open water dives.
About PADI e-Learning
PADI e-learning system allows you more time to relax and enjoy your holiday. You do the theory before coming, you don’t have to spend your time reading the manual during your holidays.
With PADI’s e-learning system, you complete the learning of theory, knowledge review questions, quizzes and final examination on-line via PADI’s website.
After you have completed the knowledge development segment, print a copy of your examination result and bring it with you.
When you arrived, you have to do a quick quiz and you can start with confined water dives instantly followed by open water dives.
To subscribe PADI’s e-learning system, you have to access PADI’s website and pay for the e-learning pack.
You will entitles to a discount on the PADI Open Water Diver course fee only if you use our center number, 6226, when you subscribe and register to the PADI eLearning.
Confined water segment are conducted in the swimming pools of Vila Ombak Hotel. The word “scuba” derived from self contained underwater breathing apparatus. This segment orientates you to:
- the scuba diving equipment,
- discover how to breathe underwater
- learning the skills of scuba diving.
During the confined water dives, your PADI dive instructor will explain and teach you:
- the usage of scuba diving equipment including setting up, removal and maintenance of your scuba unit,
- how to dive independently and manage your buoyancy underwater, to plan and conduct dives with your buddy
- and how to prevent and manage problems on the surface and underwater.
There are 24 skills that you will learn and practice. Once you have mastered the skills in the swimming pool, you will then practice the skills in the sea during the four open water dives.
Four dives in the sea
Open water dives segment are conducted in the sea with your PADI instructor.
The maximum depth for the first two dives is 12 meters and 18 meters for the last two dives. For diver under the age of 12 years old, maximum depth is limited to 12 meters for all four dives.
During these four dives, you will practice your skills in the sea and your PADI instructor will access if you meet the performance requirements.
Once you have met the requirements, your PADI instructor will bring on an excursion to discover the wonders of aquatic life of Gili islands.
PADI Open Water Diver course duration
The duration of the PADI Open Water Diver course is 2.5 days – 3 days. After, you can continue with the next level: Advanced and be allow to dive until 30m.
For the PADI Open Water Diver course, you must:
- Diver age 10 years old
- Diver age 10 to 11 years old is limited to maximum of 12 meters and must dive with a parent/guardian or PADI Professional.
- Diver age 10 – 14 years old earn a “Junior Open Water Divers” certification. (PADI eLearning program requires a minimum age of 13 years old, in accordance with the international laws of internet protection).
Please note that you are required to fill a medical statement from PADI and if there is any positive response to any of the medical questions, you’ll have to consult a doctor (The clinic of Vila Ombak Hotel is located near to the dive center and operates 24 hours).